The FabNet® Forum
Black galaxy fire ring
Last Post 29 Oct 2013 12:02 AM by Rob S.. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rob S.

Private Messenger:

--
16 Oct 2013 11:33 PM
    I have not seen it yet but a customer had us fabricate a ring made of 3 cm black galaxy.  The ring is 12 inches wide and surrounds a gas and wood fire pit and the customer says it has cracked.  My question is why, is it because of a specific mineral in the stone?  My guess is that soapstone is a better choice for this application but not sure if the customer will go for it.  I am told that the stone is about 3-4 inches from the gas heat source portion of the fire pit. Any help appreciated.
    Jeff Handley

Private Messenger:

--
    23 Oct 2013 06:24 PM
    Rob,

This is from the Design Manual. There is currently no standard for pit style facings.
    2.3 Backup Materials/Temperature.
    Cracking of fireplace facings is primarily due
    to expansion and contraction of backup
    materials. Ensure that stone surface
    temperatures do not exceed ability to safely
    and comfortably touch the stone facing when a
    fire is burning in the fireplace. Setting space
    between stone and backup should be at least
    ¾".

So, it could be the expansion of the material under the ring, or it could be thermal shock that caused it to crack, or a combination of both.

Soapstone may be your best option.
    Jeff Handley
    MIA
    www.marble-institute.com
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    24 Oct 2013 01:38 PM
    Jeff,
    Why doers Bluestone seem to work so well when other hard stones don't?
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Jeff Handley

Private Messenger:

--
    24 Oct 2013 10:09 PM
    Hi Tom,
    Most of this is from some study I did on the ingredients of soapstone, the sciency info is from USGS.

Stones that perform better under high heat are dense & relatively homogeneous.
    Soapstones and some bluestones may also contain Chrysotile. This is the mineral element that is better known commercially as the main ingredient in asbestos. Like Silica, precautions must be taken during the cutting process. Finished products are no danger to consumers as the mineral must be in a friable state (you need to break it apart and make it airborne for it to be a problem.)

As Rob described the problem, my first thought was the inside of the ring cracked away from the cooler outer edge of the stone. Granite can take a lot of heat, but it can't take high heat in one area, because the cool areas are contracted and the hot area will expand.
    Jeff Handley
    MIA
    www.marble-institute.com
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    24 Oct 2013 10:45 PM
    Is the fire pit outside? If so could it absorbed water at some time and popped when the heat got intense? Maybe the substrate/foundation has flaws too. I know certain types of river rock will pop when used on high heat hearths and fire places...im told its from the water in the stone. Just my 2 cents.
    insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    25 Oct 2013 01:19 PM
    Thanks for the education, Jeff. I have to say I did not think that expansion/contraction was much of an issue with natural stone.

If more monolithic stones are better for this, would that include absolute black? That seems like there is only one mineral type in it and it is well compressed.
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Jeff Handley

Private Messenger:

--
    25 Oct 2013 09:31 PM
    Tom-The Absolute black can perform as a fire ring, but not in a single piece configuration.

Rob- If you cut the Ab Black ring into segments, you will help alleviate the thermal gradient issues. You will definitely want to make a cut where it naturally cracked. That is where the intense heat expanded the stone unevenly.
    Jeff Handley
    MIA
    www.marble-institute.com
    Jeff Handley

Private Messenger:

--
    25 Oct 2013 09:52 PM
    Here is some technical information on the Thermal Properties of Stone.

http://www.alberenesoapstone.com/wp...erties.pdf

Courtesy of our friends at Alberene Soapstone.
    Jeff Handley
    MIA
    www.marble-institute.com
    Rob S.

Private Messenger:

--
    29 Oct 2013 12:02 AM
    Thanks for all the input everyone, sorry I did not respond sooner, busy week.  The pit is outside and sits on a ring of concrete wall pavers built up about 4 layers high.  The customer is going to let us cut it into 4 sections.  Any suggestions on what to seam it with, I was thinking a black silicone to allow for flex, but will it withstand heat?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
    2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
    3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
    4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
    5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
    8. Be Respectful of others.
    9. Must use a valid email address.
    10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
    11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
    • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
    • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
    • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban