The FabNet® Forum
Homer Ski team fund raiser and scrap usage
Last Post 27 Feb 2011 08:09 PM by David Gerard. 37 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
David Gerard
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
21 Nov 2010 02:10 AM

Hey gang,  I just wanted to share an exciting experience Im having with my daughter's nordic ski team.   
    As a parent with a child in our sports programs we feel it is important to get involved and especially help raise funds to support the financial needs of the  team.   AS we all know school funding is disappearing in the public sector for non academic activities.   We had a ski team parent meeting 2 weeks ago on fund raising.  After some ...ideas I stood up and presented this idea.  I mentioned it would make good use of each skiers mandetory 10 hr participation in raising funds.   I said i would provide the materials,  the space and time along with saftey  items.   Here is  a great use of sink cutouts.   Tues during a ski swap we presented 6 proto types to the public and started taking orders.  Within 3 days we sold 30.  Today we  have 90 boards in the works.   The question was asked about knife dulling.   I presented a dimond sharpened fillet knife and made 200 cuts and was still able to shave the surface of my fingernail.   "Good enough" was the satisfied reply.   The moon is Avonite "Pearl" and the boards are of all the left over acrylics and blends.
    insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    21 Nov 2010 07:03 PM
    David:

That is great, but can I suggest you place your pictures vertically instead of horizontally? It's much easier to scroll up and down than side to side, especially to read the text.

Joe
    John Christensen
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    21 Nov 2010 11:06 PM
    Great job, David.  I love the inlay pattern.  the great thing was that you could get the kids involved and they could feel that they were a part of it.  They are much more vested that way.

Johnny  C
    Johnny C
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SolidSurfaceTechnologies

e-mail: john@sstcounters.com
    KCWOOD
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Nov 2010 12:11 AM
    David, those kids will remember you forever for that, what a great idea!!
    Lenny E
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Nov 2010 02:40 AM
    Nice work David. I really like the skier in the moon logo. How much do they cost? I would like to buy one just to be able to relate the unique and positive story behind it.

Would you mind me buying one or two and paying you for shipping them to my wife in Texas?
    Gene McDonald
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Nov 2010 03:32 AM
    Love it david...awesome
    www.RefreshInteriorsDesign.com
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Nov 2010 04:48 AM

Joe,  I don't know about your Internet connection but my seems slow since the page jumps up and down half the time I go to make a post.   I have  even more trouble with arranging photos,   The double photo was not my attemp at trick photography .   I actually have more pics of six more delightful youths from today but the puter is too jumpy.     

Thanks all.  these kids are so great!   While speaking with one I learned he just achieved his "eagle Scout " badge.  He is 17 I think.   I got to see my daughter in a different light while she moves through my shop like she owns it.   I think some of the upper classmen where impressed with her abilities.  I know they really liked her 550 polaris sno go parked in the yard    This should be one of the biggest fundraisers in ski team history   I suggested a facebook page for fans, family and friends to follow.  The first event is on Dec 3rd,4th.  We will host a race to 150 skiers.  

Dave G.
    insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Nov 2010 01:42 PM
    Don't make them work too hard on the 2nd. They'll be sleeping their way down the slopes.

I think that bottom photo of your twin girls was well done. Synchronized fabrication should be an Olympic sport.
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Bill Wolle
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Nov 2010 02:15 PM
    That is an excellent idea on so many levels.
    Just because you "can" or it is legal to do something does not mean you should.

bwolle@msn.com
    Sam Graham

Private Messenger:

--
    25 Nov 2010 05:56 PM
    I think this is an awesome booster idea!! Next thing you know you will be the "Buddy Garrity" of the boosters there in Homer. Skiing has to be as big in Alaska as football is in Texas.
    Sam Graham
    Countertops 101
    Hello@Countertops101.com
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    26 Nov 2010 07:56 PM
                      9o boards completed... 50  sold ,  mostly by word of mouth,  I love a small town!!!!

Tom,  no trick photography here.  Acutally there are triplet sisters on this team.  The third is in the double miss print on the first page.
    (My Mady on the left there)
    Jon Olson
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    26 Nov 2010 08:36 PM
    very cool
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    27 Nov 2010 03:07 AM
    Heh, I see the poster on the wall back there, David.

I'm sure the club appreciates what you're doing for them. There is no doubt they will remember this.

Good job, David, good job.
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Chris Yaughn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    28 Nov 2010 05:56 AM
    Very Very cool project.

Showing my ignorance here, but how did you get the inset cut for the inlay?

The circle is pretty easy, but the black outline and the skier detail, I just cant quite get my head around.
    refuse to do nothing
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    28 Nov 2010 06:38 PM

Chris,  i first used the drill press with a forstner bit for the moon (thin sliced Avonite pearl)  and the kids set it in glue.  I had them use a tooth pick to center it since the squeeze out oozed out covering the line.   They sanded the moon flat then the skiier was drawn on with a stencil that  another kid drew and cut out.  I did all the dremel routering .  Another kid filled the skiier in with colored resin.  Most all have a blue skiier,  I did this one with yellow gear just for fun.  It was going to add too much more work so we keep the production simple.
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    28 Nov 2010 09:07 PM
    I like those alot. We make some oval trivets, but they have a handle. The handle adds a tone of sanding time making them expensive to make. Probably think about removing the handle.

Nice work on the logo.
    FabNet Administrator
    andy@thefabricatornetwork.com
    Countertop Company - www.OliveMill.com
    Test
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    01 Dec 2010 04:26 PM
    We had our weekly meeting last night.  The treasurer looked at me and smiled then declared all the cutting boards sold!!  It boosted the the war chest up
     $2300.00  the plan was to have the kids sell these boards at our up coming
     Nut Cracker play event.    Many Homer artists create a fair in the high school lobby and gym for a week end sale of their wares.  The Ski team ushers with the seating of the Ballet going on in the auditorium and also help set up and take down the booths for the artisans.    The kids never had the chance to sell the boards.    I  stilllove to see these kids doing for  themselves.                             

Now there is to be a gala event and auction fund raiser. Only 50 seats sold to this.  I have always wanted to go to this but it was usualy sold out too fast.  My wife purchased 2 tickets on the spot last night and I was signed up to provide live music with Sally my music partner.  I am also going to make a Lazy Susan extrordinaire as an auction item. (my wife said so)         First big race this week end and Mady ranked 3rd in time trials, she is taking care of herself like a pro athlete, sleep and nutrition have taken priority.
      Go Homer!!
    Bill Wolle
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    01 Dec 2010 04:36 PM
    David

You have much to be proud of!
    Just because you "can" or it is legal to do something does not mean you should.

bwolle@msn.com
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    01 Dec 2010 11:28 PM

I'm getting worn out just reading about all this stuff.

Joe

Chris Yaughn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    03 Dec 2010 05:15 AM
    thanks David.

I knew I was out thinking myself.

pretty sweet.  hope you don't mind if I steel it a bit
    refuse to do nothing
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
    2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
    3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
    4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
    5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
    8. Be Respectful of others.
    9. Must use a valid email address.
    10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
    11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
    • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
    • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
    • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban