The FabNet® Forum
Quartz - NON POROUS?
Last Post 12 Feb 2011 01:05 AM by Andy Graves. 32 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
16 Jun 2010 12:36 AM
    I got a question from a consumer from www.CountertopReview.com .  He asked if Caesarstone stains and my first response was no.  It is a non-porous material so how can it stain.

Boy was I wrong.  I took a Caesarstone sample and used a Sharpie on it.  Then tried to clean with Acetone with no luck.  Got about 90% of it off but you can easily see it.

So how does a non-porous material stain? And more importantly, how would you go about removing it with regular household cleaners?

FabNet Administrator
    andy@thefabricatornetwork.com
    Countertop Company - www.OliveMill.com
    Test
    Dani Homrich
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 01:04 AM
    Acetone will not remove all the pigment you will also need soap and water to remove the water base pigment in the sharpie, and you may need a little lacquer thinner also.
    Changing the way you finish your tops.
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 01:08 AM
    I tried Simple Green with no luck. Maybe the soap and water will do the trick.

Thanks Dani.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    Bill Wolle
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 02:34 AM

The other thing, and this makes little sense to me but I have personal experience that it works...

1) You must dab away the "cleaner" while still very wet and the "stain" is disolved and suspended. Do not wipe or let dry before dabbing.
    2) You should use a terry cloth rag, not something smooth like an old tee shirt. The loops on the terry cloth will make a difference, trust me. I know it makes little sense, but it works better.

Just because you "can" or it is legal to do something does not mean you should.

bwolle@msn.com
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 03:50 AM
    Looks to me like you thinned out the ink so much it worked its way around the quartz and poly joins. You'll get it cleaner, but I don't think you'll get 100%.
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Dani Homrich
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 04:33 PM
    If you do the same thing on plastic laminate, and we know it is non-porous, it will do the same thing. I think it was about 5 or 6 years ago the EPA changed what they could use for pigments in markers. The new pigments many metal based scratch and etch the plastic, this leaves pigment in the plastic after it is cleaned. When this changed happen a lot of laminate had numbers and names that could be seen after cleaned, which had to be replaced. Now the laminate suppliers only use stickers with names or grease pencil, no more markers. Because of the different pigments used now, you will need to used several different types of cleaners, like I said before and sometimes bleach to remove all the color. But because of the scratching and etching effect you may still see where the marker was in certain light angles.
    Changing the way you finish your tops.
    Jon Olson
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 05:37 PM
    Not sure how to get the stain out but I tried it with SS and the results where great. Solid Surface the only true non-porous surface. it just keeps getting better
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 06:46 PM
    I tried Ajax with bleach and a scrub brush for about 30 seconds. I also tried soap and water.

For your typical homeowner, this is getting too complicated. You would think it would at least clean up with a bleach cleaner but it doesn't.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    John Cristina
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 08:35 PM
    Preach it Brother Olson, Had a situation Monday with a similar color by another manuf. had some pencil ines around a cook top cut out that would not come off, thank goodness that the flange covered the extra line. Home owner was watching the installer trying to scrub the stain off and says "I thought this would not stain?" So did I. Oops. Now the installer knows why I tape the surface before making marks.
    "If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else" - Berra
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 09:36 PM
    I thought I was pretty well versed in the uncommon knowledge department.

Then Dani comes along and learns me some new s**t.

I am smarter today than I was yesterday.
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Wags
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    16 Jun 2010 10:53 PM
    Jon, I have seen the old blue grocery receipts "stain" solid surface that the only way to get it out was to sand it out. KaBoom works well on Quartz for removing a whole bunch of things that look like "stains". Non porous just means nothing will soak into the surface, not that nothing can "stain" the surface.
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    17 Jun 2010 05:08 AM
    I've heard a product called Kenny's Cleaner works well on engineered stone but have no source. Some guys swear by rubbing slurry sludge from fabrication removes stains also.

Joe
    Wags
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    17 Jun 2010 06:28 AM
    I would assume that would work Joe, because it has some grit in it... but, wouldn't you also risk changing the sheen in that area?
    Bill Wolle
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    17 Jun 2010 02:01 PM
    The "slurry sludge" works, just change "rubbing" to gently wiping. The sludge acts like a poltice to wick up the staining agent. If you rub too hard, you are corrent Wags, you could scratch the surface.
    Just because you "can" or it is legal to do something does not mean you should.

bwolle@msn.com
    Jon Olson
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    17 Jun 2010 02:06 PM
     stains come out of SS using soft scrub no sanding  .    If a SS top was sanding professionally it wont stain including the sink
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    17 Jun 2010 08:33 PM
    I think the problem is that mnay sell the Quartz material as being as stain resistant as solid surface. I kinda assumed it was but it clearly isn't.

The consumer that contacted me was under the impression it would not stain. He got that information from somewhere.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    17 Jun 2010 10:25 PM
    We sell quartz as a hybrid. Not all the good points of stone, but most of them, while eliminating the bad. Much more hygienic than stone, but not as much as solid surface, but much more scratch resistant, with a more stone-like appearance.

-C.S. Lewis
    Brian Stone
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    18 Jun 2010 04:05 PM
    Andy -
    Did you try using Dani's suggested cleaners? Did you also happen to see if you did the same thing to a piece of Bone or Glacier White if the marker came off with just Acetone?
    Guy Robertson

Private Messenger:

--
    18 Jun 2010 05:27 PM
    Other things to try (that we use) is Bonami (Bar Keepers Friend) or Mister Clean magic eraser.

Chad Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

Private Messenger:

--
    18 Jun 2010 06:11 PM
    Carb cleaner is amazing stuff too but I would test it elsewhere first.

Chad Thomas
    www.gluewarehouse.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
    2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
    3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
    4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
    5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
    8. Be Respectful of others.
    9. Must use a valid email address.
    10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
    11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
    • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
    • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
    • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban