The FabNet® Forum
concrete Repairs
Last Post 08 Jan 2010 01:09 AM by Un-Authorized. 26 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Un-Authorized
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
01 Oct 2009 04:20 AM

This is the before picture of a concrete top with some sort of ring etch through the expoy type finish.

This is as good as I could get it to lookwith CA and a razorblade.

Here's a nice chip. I dremelled it out a bit with a diamond bit and hit it with the light kit and some CA over the abrasions in the epoxy.

Nuthin' to brag about, but what do you expect without removing the topcoat?

I did another chip repair also. There was funk at the faucet, but I didn't touch it. I didn't bother the cracks at the sink either.

Joe

Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    01 Oct 2009 05:28 AM
    Could you have put some epoxy over the top of the stain and the CA? The chip repair looks much better.
    FabNet Administrator
    andy@thefabricatornetwork.com
    Countertop Company - www.OliveMill.com
    Test
    Brian Stone
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    01 Oct 2009 01:57 PM
    That stuff looks like a nightmare to fix.
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    01 Oct 2009 02:13 PM
    Posted By Brian_Stone on 01 Oct 2009 07:57 AM
    That stuff looks like a nightmare to fix.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Andy:

I suppose one could try to feather in some epoxy for the ring repair, but how much time can you spend and still have a cost effective repair? I spent two hours at this place to get two chips and one ring repaired at this level of quality.

I got paid, but if they want any better, I'm grinding that crap off and refinishing with exposed aggregate and some sealer. That's gonna cost some money.

Joe
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    06 Oct 2009 08:10 PM
    I think any type of applied finish that sits on the surface is going to be hard to repair. I suppose if you are the only one doing it, there could be good money in it.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    07 Oct 2009 02:32 AM
    Posted By Andy on 06 Oct 2009 02:10 PM
    I think any type of applied finish that sits on the surface is going to be hard to repair. I suppose if you are the only one doing it, there could be good money in it.

Andy:

You are correct. If the scratches in this top would have been solid surface or even granite or estone, they could have been removed. If you abrade epoxy, you have more abraded epoxy.

Joe
    Wags
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    11 Dec 2009 12:49 AM
    Tell me why, anyone that acutally uses their kitchen, would want some of the countertop choices that are used? If you don't cook and want it only for show great.. do whatever. But, if your going to cook and use it.. geesh...get real. Good Repair on an impossible project Joe.
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    11 Dec 2009 07:34 AM
    I should be on the concrete replacment job soon,  the staining do to sealer failier is hidious.  Pics comming
    insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    11 Dec 2009 10:40 PM

Thanks, Wags. I bid to strip, reprofile and reseal this top as well as cover it with solid surface. That was a few months ago and I haven't heard anything back.

Joe

Lane Mangum

Private Messenger:

--
    18 Dec 2009 07:29 PM
    Sadly, this is a common occurance. It doesn't have to be. There are good-looking, stain-proof sealers for concrete countertops.

This sealer was either inappropriate to begin with or not applied correctly. The orange peel appearance of that sealer is unacceptable. I also notice pinholes in the concrete (there's one to the left of the chip closeup) - completely unacceptable. The concrete also should not have cracked around the sink.

This type of thing gives concrete a bad reputation that is undeserved. Whoever made it should be getting the blame, not the concrete itself.

Kowboy, would you be willing to let me put those photos on my website in the Hall of Shame gallery (the before photos)? I will not identify where they came from. The purpose of the Hall of Shame is to educate consumers and designers about what is and isn't acceptable for concrete countertops and prevent them from buying inferior concrete countertops.
    Karl Crooks
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    18 Dec 2009 08:49 PM
    Posted By Lane Mangum of The Concrete Countertop Institute on 18 Dec 2009 01:29 PM
    Sadly, this is a common occurance. It doesn't have to be. There are good-looking, stain-proof sealers for concrete countertops. ........

Kowboy, would you be willing to let me put those photos on my website in the Hall of Shame gallery (the before photos)? I will not identify where they came from. The purpose of the Hall of Shame is to educate consumers and designers about what is and isn't acceptable for concrete countertops and prevent them from buying inferior concrete countertops.

We are seeing more and more (many much worse) of this kind of thing so far we have not done much about them (oher than document the issues) as we are still learning about concrete repairs.

RESTORE ~ RENEW ~ REJOICE !
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    18 Dec 2009 11:42 PM
    Posted By Lane Mangum of The Concrete Countertop Institute on 18 Dec 2009 01:29 PM
    Sadly, this is a common occurance. It doesn't have to be. There are good-looking, stain-proof sealers for concrete countertops.

This sealer was either inappropriate to begin with or not applied correctly. The orange peel appearance of that sealer is unacceptable. I also notice pinholes in the concrete (there's one to the left of the chip closeup) - completely unacceptable. The concrete also should not have cracked around the sink.

This type of thing gives concrete a bad reputation that is undeserved. Whoever made it should be getting the blame, not the concrete itself.

Lane:

First, welcome to the fabnet. Second, you can use any of my posted pictures you please. We need to do everything we can to raise the standards for all countertop surfaces.

Joe
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    19 Dec 2009 04:57 AM
    Hi Lane,  welcome.  I  for one would be interested in hearing more from the concrete industry here at the Fabnet.   When I speak with new customers I am often asked if I do concrete.   I am one who doesn't like to sway a customer but instead point them to places of info so they can make up their own mind,  or at least be able to answer simple questions for them.   Periodic sealing is one such topic.   What do you recommend and how often?    Thanks,  Dave G
    insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    19 Dec 2009 02:22 PM
    Posted By David G. on 18 Dec 2009 10:57 PM 
      I am one who doesn't like to sway a customer but instead point them to places of info so they can make up their own mind,  or at least be able to answer simple questions for them.  

David:

A bit off topic here, but I have to address this. I make no apologies for my blatent attempts to sway customers to do business with me. Customers need all the help they can get and if I can't persuade them that my products and services are the best availiable, then I haven't done my job and don't deserve their business.

I did a warranty assessment for a manufacturer two months ago. I followed up with the customer yesterday, found out their claim was disallowed and booked the work. Are these customers grateful I "bugged" them? Yep. Will they be even more glad I called when the repair is made and they've paid me? Yes again.

When you don't attempt to "sway" customers, you are cheating them. Learn and practice sales skills, especially closing, and use them aggressively and unapologetically. Your customers deserve no less.

Joe
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    19 Dec 2009 06:12 PM
    Kowboy,  while I agree with you ,  I live in a  very small town and I am very good friends with the 2 gents who do concrete tops, I am very careful about being acused of slamming them .     I sure do have an opinion about other materials but in the end if I provide a place for customers to get info I have done them a service and they will love my offerings that much more when they choose me.    I let them ask me questions and since they did I will answer them and truthfully.   Sales skills?  Im as smooth as silk   and thats why Im putting in another  7 day week 
    Lane Mangum

Private Messenger:

--
    21 Dec 2009 02:36 PM
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Joe, thanks for letting me use your photos.

Dave, your sealing question: The answer is "it depends". Almost every question about concrete countertops depends on the sealer: "Will it stain?", "Will it scratch?", "Can I put hot pots on it?". Some "sealers" provide little stain protection and need to be reapplied frequently, others are virtually bullet-proof and require no maintenance. The Concrete Countertop Institute recommends the use of a coating sealer that stands up to staining agents and acids, but others in the industry choose penetrating sealers that they feel optimize the natural look of the concrete.

There is an extensive article about the various types of concrete sealers and their properties at http://www.concretecountertopinstit...itemid=52. There is also information for consumers about how to evaluate a concrete countertop maker at http://www.concretecountertopinstitute.com/modules/info/how_to_evaluate_a_contractor.html.

I hope this helps.

Lane
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    21 Dec 2009 04:45 PM
    Posted By David G. on 19 Dec 2009 12:12 PM 
       Sales skills?  Im as smooth as silk   and thats why Im putting in another  7 day week 

David:

I have no doubt about your sales skills, but you need help with your rates if you're working seven days a week.

Raise 'em.

You'll then work five days a week and still be paid for the other two you're working now, and your wife and kids will thank me.

Joe
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    21 Dec 2009 04:57 PM
    Posted By Lane Mangum of The Concrete Countertop Institute on 21 Dec 2009 08:36 AM
    The Concrete Countertop Institute recommends the use of a coating sealer that stands up to staining agents and acids, but others in the industry choose penetrating sealers that they feel optimize the natural look of the concrete. 

Lane
    Lane:

I do much more repair work than fabrication these days, so naturally repairabliity is very high on my list of factors when evaluating countertops. It seems to me the coating sealers may prevent more stains, but when they fail they would be much harder to repair than a penetrating type sealer.

Joe

Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    21 Dec 2009 09:54 PM
    Lane, welcome to the FabNet forum.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    22 Dec 2009 02:59 AM
    Posted By Kowboy on 21 Dec 2009 10:45 AM
    Posted By David G. on 19 Dec 2009 12:12 PM 
       Sales skills?  Im as smooth as silk   and thats why Im putting in another  7 day week 

David:

I have no doubt about your sales skills, but you need help with your rates if you're working seven days a week.

Raise 'em.

You'll then work five days a week and still be paid for the other two you're working now, and your wife and kids will thank me.

Joe

Arrogant
    www.normwaltersconstruction.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
    2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
    3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
    4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
    5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
    8. Be Respectful of others.
    9. Must use a valid email address.
    10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
    11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
    • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
    • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
    • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban