The FabNet® Forum
Concrete Tops
Last Post 11 May 2009 03:58 PM by Brian Stone. 12 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Marci Presser

Private Messenger:

--
02 Dec 2008 03:31 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I was traveling the country from my living room, popping in and out of fabrication shops via their Web sites to see what's going on and where it's going down. I noticed that poured concrete tops - as opposed to the prefabricated slabs of concrete like vetrazzo - occupy a niche market in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the Web sites that I came accross seemed focused on the art and design behind each project.

I'm just curious what people think of this. Obviously design is a large part of what fabricator's do, but what about design for art's sake, rather than design for functionality. Is there room for that in the day-to-day projects of a shop? I've seen the precast slabs of concrete hit the market as a new green alternative to other materials in the market, especially when you throw some recycled glass into the mix, but is there really a niche market for poured concrete art in the home? Thoughts?

"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." P.J. O'Rourke
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    03 Dec 2008 12:57 AM
    I think you are right.  The poured concrete is a niche market and requires a skilled craftsman to do it right.  With that comes a lot of design work but to some degree the craftsman must be the artist or be able to interpret what the customer envisions.

Researching all the materials the last few months, I get the same feeling about the Pacific Northwest.  Lots of Eco companies are producing materials and they are just starting to take hold.

My personal opinion is that Pre Cast will do better across the country with small art communities wanting the poured in place.
    FabNet Administrator
    andy@thefabricatornetwork.com
    Countertop Company - www.OliveMill.com
    Test
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    03 Dec 2008 05:26 AM
    The Cheng and Rhodes method are very popular.   I personally think the poured in place is way more versatile in terms of finishes and options.   I know many folks around here that have very artsy homes,  and concrete is what they want to compliment their motif.  I have to say ,  it usually is the best looking choice from what I've seen in most of these types of  homes,  I just cant get past the maintenance

www.leovait.com
    www.alaskanstrong.com

I wish Leo would join us here,  he is an exceptionally funny person and unbelievably talented.  These guys are teamed up right now and doing some very cool stuff.

insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    06 Dec 2008 09:07 PM

This guy really seems to know concrete and has pictures of inlays.

Joe

Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    06 Dec 2008 10:48 PM
    I don't have access to that website.  The link went to a login page.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    03 Jan 2009 07:05 PM
    I woke up in the wee hours last night and was channel surfing.  I managed to catch  "This old house" .  They were featuring some green construction concepts and will be airing  a segment on the construction of  the concrete counters for thier project next week.  From the preview it looked like a shop fab and installed after it was finished.  PS.   looked like Norm lost a little weight too
    insomnia crossed with dyslexia and atheist beliefs may lead one to lay awake all night wondering if there really is a "Dog"
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    03 Jan 2009 09:55 PM
    I would love to catch that.  Do you happen to know the time and channel so I record it on my DVR?
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    04 Jan 2009 03:24 AM
    Andy,  log on to www.pbs.org  and punch in your zip code then you can find the listing in your area.  You could probably watch it online too.    I have been waiting to see Jon O. or Tom on a segment of TOH.  I'll bet Jon and Norm A. have the same accent?
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    04 Jan 2009 05:41 AM
    Jon has better teeth than Norm A. At least is seems like that because Jon is always smiling, I'll take whatever Jon is taking
    www.normwaltersconstruction.com
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    04 Jan 2009 05:52 PM
    Posted By Andy on 06 Dec 2008 04:48 PM
    I don't have access to that website.  The link went to a login page.

Andy:

I just checked the link and it works fine, but then, I'm logged in there.

Joe
    David Gerard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    09 Jan 2009 04:50 PM
    I happen to catch TOH late last night with the concrete fab segment.   Very interesting for sure.   better have a skilled and very strong crew if you want to do concrete.   My friend who fabs concrete here adds styro foam spheres in his mixture to reduce weight  (in the structural layer only)   Sounds like the fab time is very long once templating is done,  due to curing,sealing and polishing.  Also looks looks like if the customer is cute enough they will let her help .    Joe, concrete might be for you. 
    Un-Authorized
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    08 May 2009 12:12 AM

For the record, concrete (tops or driveway) is never "poured" and is always "placed".

Excessive hydration weakens concrete, so if it were runny enough to be poured, it is not suitable for countertops. The consistency of concrete is measured by a slump test.

Stiffer is better,

Joe

Brian Stone
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    11 May 2009 03:58 PM
    Michael Scott (The Office) That's What She Said Pictures, Images and Photos

You are not authorized to post a reply.

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
    2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
    3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
    4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
    5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
    8. Be Respectful of others.
    9. Must use a valid email address.
    10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
    11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
    • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
    • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
    • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban