The FabNet® Forum
Adhesive Chart
Last Post 04 May 2007 06:53 PM by Andy Graves. 24 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Norm Walters
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
31 Jan 2007 02:19 AM
    I have been given the task of coming up with a universal adhesive chart for the Forum. What would be easier to look at in everyone's opinion?  I was thinking maybe an Integra chart cross referencing all manu's products plus estone.  Maybe adding a couple more adhesive manu's such as Gruber or Corian's adhesive.  What brand adhesive are most of you using?  No need to have a bunch of information that no one is going to use, so I need some feedback on this one.
    www.normwaltersconstruction.com
    Joe Corlett
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 03:36 AM

Norm:

If  I had your assignment, I would put up the Integra chart and call 'er done.

If there is a company with more technical knowledge (see this month's SF magazine), better customer service (personal experience), products (invisible color-matched seams, estone or ss), and support of our industry (face time at the shows) please list them.

These guys are number one because they've kicked everyone else's a$$ fair and square.

There are usually lots of guys to argue with me. C'mon boys, let 'er rip.

Joe

Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 05:20 AM
    Norm,
    Integra is sold to us with Staron. Good move in my opinion, but I'm gonna have to see how much more I'm paying.
    Most of the others are proprietary, but we know they all don't make them themselves.

Corian
    Formica
    Avonite
    Hi-Macs
    Gibralter
    etc.

Tom
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 05:25 AM

All the manufacturers have to be on the list and then we can post the third party adhesive manufacturers as well.

We need to include the third party other than Integra, because the fabricators use other products.  The FabNet is about the fabricator.  If the need Gruber, Plexus or Adhesive Technologies then that is what we put on the chart.  We don't play favorites on the FabNet.

FabNet Administrator
    andy@thefabricatornetwork.com
    Countertop Company - www.OliveMill.com
    Test
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 05:34 AM
    Andy, with all that information on a chart it is going to be useless because if will take too long to go through, I certainly would not spend the time.  There has to be a way to do it that is convenient and fast.  If we could make it work so that you go through one menu to find the sheet manu, then a drop down menu for the color of the sheet, then a drop down menu for the adhesive manu's name and designated color for that material.  Is Amir still around??
    Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 05:39 AM
    The first thing I would do is gather all the contact information from all the manufacturers and third party glue companies.  Get all the charts in PDF format.  That way we can just upload them in a nice uniform layout.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    Chad Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 07:19 PM
    Norm,

I don't envy you in the least being charged with that task. I manage all of our color charts for Integra and its a big job keeping everything up to date.

Most sheet manufacturers add or drop between 6-20 new colors every year, all at different times and then we glue guys have to catch up.

Now if you were to create a database that included 3 adhesive mfg's and a bunch of 3rd party sellers, the task of providing up to date, accurate information just became much larger.

As far as a drop down type list that allows selecting the sheet, then the adhesive mfg or something similar, this would also be quite an undertaking. We have looked at doing this for our customers and in our case would involve 35 mfg's of Solid Surface and Quartz surfacing and over 120 adhesive colors. Again quite a task to set up let alone keep current.

The best option may be to simply provide links to the adhesive suppliers own sites where the charts are maintained and PDF files are available.

I'd be happy to discuss any options or ideas to make this work as I think it would be a great resource for fabricators to have all the adhesive suppliers info in one place.

Chad

Chad Thomas
    www.gluewarehouse.com
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    31 Jan 2007 11:34 PM

Chad, I just looked at your web site. How you guys have it is how I think it should be.  I doubt the other adhesive manu's have it set up like that but I will check. I know Andy just wants me to jump into this thing, and get it done but I am not going to do something that makes no sense from the onset. I have been throught the spinning my wheels on other sites already, not going there.

Ed Clark

Private Messenger:

--
    05 Mar 2007 07:07 PM
    Norm,

This is the first time I have been involved in a forum posting for this web site.  I know this is late in the process, but I felt it important for you to know that we also post our adhesive color matches on our web site.  We use to print them for customers, but when the list got to over 50 pages long, I felt there were better options.  For the last few years, we have listed all our matches on our web site and it is this location that we add all updated information.  This provides our customers with current product matching.

In order to make a list as valuable to Fabricators as possible, I believe that a partnership between sheet suppliers and adhesive providers is needed.  As mentioned earlier, sheet colors are changing all the time.  There is no clearing house for sheet suppliers to provide samples for color match.  Ultimately, this task falls upon the adhesive suppliers and you can image, uniformity falls from there.  One problem though, if a sheet manufacturer is selling an adhesive, they have no interest in sharing.

One last thought, due to the dynamic nature of sheet colors, your might consider establishing an internet location where sheet supplier colors and adhesive providers matches are listed and updated in real time.  If something like this is not established, your list will quickly go out of date.

Thanks for your time and willingness to address this issue.

Ed
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    05 Mar 2007 07:56 PM
       Ed, thanks for your post and welcome to FabNet, feel free to post anytime, we appreciate the input.  You do make some interesting points, I was originally going to convert adhesive charts to PDF's, but as you pointed out they are continually changing with new products and colors out all the time. What I think is the best thing to do is just have links to all the adhesive manufacurer's web sites on one page.  This way it will be up to date, rather than replacing PDF's all the time, not to mention the amount of time it would take to verify changes if there actually were any.
    neil kelley

Private Messenger:

--
    05 Mar 2007 08:55 PM
    Norm,

Whatever I can do to assist you in your efforts regarding ADHESIVE TECHNOLOGIES seaming adhesives, please let me know. I'll see you all at the show! Thanks Glueman
    Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
    05 Mar 2007 10:59 PM
    There's a lot of love for you, Norm. A lot of love.
    Can you feel it?

Looking forward to Fla.

Tom
    ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    06 Mar 2007 01:47 AM
    I hear ya Tom, maybe we should have a per click charge when fabricators click on the links to the adhesive manufacturer's. That way Andy can finally get that Corvette he deserves, and Mory, well, he can get new valve cover gaskets.
    FEDSAWDAVE
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    06 Mar 2007 01:57 AM
    Andy's not getting a vette unless it looks like a grocery getter....hehehehehehehe
    Ed Clark

Private Messenger:

--
    06 Mar 2007 05:45 PM
    Norm,

I think you have a great idea for a short term solution to keeping lists updated!  (ahhh the love).  I am a little concerned about having this list be a real time resource if one finds themselves out and about.  It would be interesting to see how fabricators capture the information they need to do their job on a daily basis.  Understanding this would allow the development of an even more resourceful tool.

I have to admit that in the past, I have spent more of my time in the cast polymer side of our business.  I can see by the banter tossed out, that I need to spend more time on the fabrication side.  This group appears to really have its act together, dynamic visionaries that are good looking too!  I will now pull my boots off and just mention that I will be at the Surface Expo next week in Orlando and look forward to meeting many of you.

Ed
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    07 Mar 2007 01:55 AM
    Ed, most fabricators have the adhesive charts at their shops. There are times though that they are either misplaced or another adhesive is used that one is not familiar with.  In cases like this it would be nice to go on the FabNet and find what they are looking for, FAST
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    29 Mar 2007 03:31 AM

Andy, I see you have started on the adhesive chart, here are a few links to adhesive manu with cross references.

http://www.confiad.com/english/products_4.php

http://www.andersonashworthadhesives.com/id5.html

Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    29 Mar 2007 06:48 AM

Perfect Norm.  Last night I was screwing around with the charts and found that if I just copy and paste them into the text editor, they turned out pretty good.  Then with a little formatting, I was done.

I will use those links to add the other charts.  If you have anymore let me know.

Thanks for you help on this Norm.

FabNet Administrator
    Test
    Norm Walters
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
    07 Apr 2007 02:25 AM

Andy, here is the Corian adhesive chart, it is on page 9, you are going to have to zoom in to see it.

http://www2.dupont.com/Corian/en_GB/assets/downloads/pdfs/technical/english_2005_dupont_corian_book_techknowhow.pdf

Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
    07 Apr 2007 03:30 AM
    Thanks, I'll add that to a manufacturer section.
    FabNet Administrator
    Test
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
    2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
    3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
    4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
    5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
    8. Be Respectful of others.
    9. Must use a valid email address.
    10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
    11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
    • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
    • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
    • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban