The FabNet® Forum
Starting a Granite Shop
Last Post 18 Dec 2012 02:55 PM by Oldryder. 50 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
06 Apr 2007 03:53 AM

King of Rock,

Thanks for the info.  Right now I am trying to focus on Solid Surface.  I think I gave up on the Granite idea for awhile until I get my Solid Surface shop running real smooth.

I will keep your email for the future.

FabNet Administrator
andy@thefabricatornetwork.com
Countertop Company - www.OliveMill.com
Test
Steve Piccinin

Private Messenger:

--
06 Apr 2007 03:17 PM
Travis save yourself an ucler and look at providing yourself with a digital template machine. You can print the work your doing and save yourself the eventual blame game between you and the facbricator.

Eric Campbell

Private Messenger:

--
07 Apr 2007 12:53 AM

Andy,

No problem. If you ever decide to start fabricating the original solid surface then I will be glad to help.

Matt Kraft
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
09 Apr 2007 08:44 PM
[QUOTE]king of rock wrote

Andy,

No problem. If you ever decide to start fabricating the original solid surface then I will be glad to help.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody read this "The original solid surface"????

We can't let this newbie get away with that, can we?
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive...."
Joe Corlett
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Private Messenger:

--
10 Apr 2007 12:23 AM

Andy,

[/QUOTE]

Good one King.

You'll fit right in here.

Joe

Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
10 Apr 2007 02:06 AM
So Dave, you don't think there are many hack solid surface fabricators? Tell it to the lady whose top, after I inspected it, was determined rather quickly to have been made upside down.
...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
al
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
10 Apr 2007 03:27 AM
Have I ever told the story of the top we fixed that still had the plastic attached to the back side of the vertical edge?  Even where it was butt jointed?  Nice white top with black lines on all the corners........
"if it is so safe, why aren't they supporting the testing?"
Chris Yaughn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
10 Apr 2007 04:05 AM

Al,

I think that does ring a bell.

On the way home from the expo I stopped for gas at a flying J or T&A or something.  I don't know that I had ever seen a failed ss top in person (or atleast noticed it). But, after some of the demos at the show I got to looking at the buffet, counter, bar etc.. at the truck stop. EVERY corner on the buffet had a crack. EVERY inside corner on the bar had a crack, One end of the check out counter looked like the original buildup was too big. I think they routed off all they could (left basically an onion skin) to make it fit.

Great seams on the stacked edge though.

All I could think was, "Man, who was the GC that signed off on all of this." Makes the things I sweat seam trivial

refuse to do nothing
Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
10 Apr 2007 05:58 AM

Andy,

No problem. If you ever decide to start fabricating the original solid surface then I will be glad to help.[/QUOTE]

Thanks King of Rock.

By the way...If it was "Solid" water wouldn't leach through it.   Let's call it mostly solid with a few pores in it.

FabNet Administrator
Test
Eric Campbell

Private Messenger:

--
21 Apr 2007 11:22 AM
Yeah I know Taht the majority of rock shops are hacks. However there are a few "diamonds in the rough" that actually take pride in their work. But with so many shops out there it is difficult to set yourself apart. Alot of builders are more interested in getting the job done cheap rather than good. I think that one of the most serious problems is that the hackers are undercutting the price so much the the industry is in serious trouble. It takes twice as long to fabricate a granite kitchen as it does solid surface, and the cost per sq. ft. is about 30 dollars less. There is such a thing as an honest, upstanding granite guy. I just hope that this slump in the industry filters out alot of the undesirable element so that the 'good guys" can get back on track.
Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
21 Apr 2007 08:10 PM
The quality of the work will hurt the industry of awhile but in the end, it will even out and the ones with a solid company with capital to weather the storm, will be left standing.
FabNet Administrator
Test
Scott Bogner

Private Messenger:

--
12 Jul 2011 03:48 AM
Andy, I am now in the same position you where in at the end of 2006.  I am considering starting a stone fabrication shop. 
Can you lend any advise or point me in a certian direction- that will help with Education, equipment need, etc..

I have been on so many sites my eyes are crossing- just seen your story and thought you may have some advise.
Thanks
Scott
Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
12 Jul 2011 05:26 AM
Hey Scott,

I asked lots of questions and basically what it came down to is the quantity of tops you can sell. A basic shop can be set up witha limited budget. Once you start to sell jobs the cost goes up exponentially.

Man power is another aspect you will need to consider. It takes more than one person to install a granite top. If you hire part time guys, they will not gain experience. If you hire two or three guys to fabricate, every time you need to install, you have to take them away from the fabrication side. Gets expensive when you have three to four people on a job to install one countertop.

We decided to spend our time finding a quality company that would fabricate to our standards and price. Took some time, but we only pay when we get a job. The overhead is less, worry is more, but can be very profitable.

Think it over long and hard before starting you own shop. Ask questions and I am sure you will get more advice.

Hope that helps,

Andy
FabNet Administrator
Test
Scott Bogner

Private Messenger:

--
19 Jul 2011 09:31 PM
Andy,
Thanks for the insight.  A little of my background may help explain my situation.  I have a mid sized cabinet shop that manufactures european frameless cabinets and also carries (4) lines of residential custom cabinets.  We are currently outsourcing our granite and sold surface to companies that reside approx 150 and 300 miles away respectivly.  I am not trying to take over the world out here, but if i dont take advantage of the lack of fabroicator in my corner of the world some one else will.  Also, it will help with our bigger residnetial and commercial jobs go smoothly-we do alot of negotiated work. 

I am currently just getting competitive qoutes, marking them up, selling the job and have very little overhead or worry about the situation.  However, A good local fabricator in our area could be very successful.

A few questions: 

1. Do you have any idea what kind of gross margins that a granite fabricaotor works with.
2. where could i start looking/watching for auctions of equipment- just so i can get a feel for the value of equipment in the market.
3.  Is there any type of consulting firms that could help with site layout, training, and equipment purchases etc...

I have not made a full committment to move forward with this yet, i just want to start getting information from people that are vested in the industry.
Thanks in advance.
Scott B
Andy Graves

Private Messenger:

--
19 Jul 2011 10:07 PM
I think you can try www.UsedStoneEquipment.com for auctions.

Try www.AZSchoolofRock.com and talk with Kevin. He does consulting, shop layout and training. Could be helpful.

I couldn't help with the gross margins, I never really did any of it on my own.
FabNet Administrator
Test
Ed

Private Messenger:

--
20 Jul 2011 10:01 PM
We are in the process of starting a granite shop and am looking for some advise as to equipment.  We have decided on a certain brand for our bridge saw.  We're looking for some advise for a 'start up' water filration system to support the bridge saw and hand grinders/polishers.  At some point (this year) we'll be adding an in-line polisher.  We are looking for one that just basically does splash work.  There is one brand that has a technigue for doing 'mitered' edge but with cutting a dado on the polisher which then is applied to the face/bottom of the deck.  Does anyone have experience with this.  We do mostly mitered edge.

Ed
Un-Authorized
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
21 Jul 2011 01:29 PM
Ed:

Call Robbie Tidwell at Northwood and do whatever he tells you.

Joe
Tom M

Private Messenger:

--
21 Jul 2011 01:52 PM
Scott,
Be aware that your worker's comp will go much higher once you start installations.
A. Lot.

OSHA regs, overhead expenses, etc. will all become more important to note as well.

Good luck to you in your decision.
...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
Un-Authorized
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Private Messenger:

--
21 Jul 2011 08:35 PM
Ed:

Try Robbie here.

Joe
Kevin Padden
Basic Member
Basic Member

Private Messenger:

--
21 Jul 2011 11:50 PM
Joe - you must have forgotten that AZ School of Rock is in the business of helping guys start up Granite Shops, and this (along with day in and day out Fabrication & Consulting) is what I DO for a living.... AZ School of Rock has been in business since 2007
Kevin M. PaddenFabricator, Trainer & Consultant to the Natural Stone Industrywww.azschoolofrock.comwww.naturalstone101.com
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

FabNet Forum Rules

These Forums are dedicated to any discussion that interest the Surface Fabricator.

Please read the following rules.  Posting, reading and participating on TheFabricatorNetwork.com, you automatically agree to the following rules.  They periodically change so please read them frequently.  Because the rules change at our discretion, post at your own discretion.  The Fabricator Network.com can not control the content of the information posted.  We do not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any information posted. 

Under no circumstances will The Fabricator Network.com its owners, directors, and/or operators be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the forum.  Full Legal 'Terms of Use'

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the project, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION of products by anyone other than sponsors and advertisers of the FabNet.
  2. "FOR SALE" section is only for used equipment, closeout or advertiser and sponsor specials.
  3. Vendors and Manufacturers are prohibited from posting, commenting or discussing a competitors product in a negative way.  Negative comments toward other vendors or manufacturers will be grounds for an immediate ban from the forum.
  4. Only Advertisers/Sponsors may post their Avatar logo next to their name.  Other vendors may only use their website URL and/or their email address.
  5. Except for "FabNet Lounge", please stay on topic. Post that do not stay on topic will be removed from thread.
  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving/removing a thread, post or comment.
  8. Be Respectful of others.
  9. Must use a valid email address.
  10. If you want to comment or review a product you must sign the post with your real name or company name.
  11. Pricing, percentages and profit margins are prohibited and will be edited.  The remainder of the post will remain intact.

Penalty for violating FabNet rules:

• 1st  Incident - Verbal or email warning. (Racism will result in an automatic ban)
  • 2nd  Incident - 30 day ban from posting.
  • 3rd  Incident - 6 month ban from posting.
  • 4th  Incident - Lifetime ban